What I Like:
- Record video from any component / s-video source
- Ability to chose a separate input for audio
- Can live stream from capture device
- Includes software to assist with recording/editing video
- Some applications can use this input device like a webcam
- Video input is smooth and consistent with few lost frames
- No compatibility issues on Windows 10 w/ usb 3 port
What I Don’t Like:
- Results from included software are mixed, as some devices have significant interlacing issues
- Included software does not offer any options for resolution, bitrate, etc.
- Compatibility with external software is hit and miss
- 3rd party software is required for best results
Conclusion: Although it is called “EZ-cap” this device is less than easy to use and getting good results is not for the faint at heart (or technologically incapable). It’s very straightforward and simple to use the included software and record from an input device, but the results when using that software have been less than stellar from my testing. The major issue is with interlacing. Outputted video does not look very good when scaled or viewed on a larger screen due to lines interrupting and motion. It took a few tries to find some third party software that works. I ended up finding a free program called VirtualDub and although it is a bit intimidating to set up I was able to use some filters to reduce the interlacing issue (search for “EZcap Virtualdub setup” with your favourite search engine for more info). The result is significantly better video output than with the included software. Videos are recorded in DVD quality, 30 FPS and pretty much what I expect from old sources. I’m using this device to back up some of my parents old video tapes from when I was a kid and the results are good enough to show on a big screen and share online, but of course they’re not the same as HD. Overall I’d recommend this capture device for those who are more tech-minded and like fiddling, because while it does work fine, it requires additional set up for best results.