The other day I made the mistake of attempting to push a SJcam SJ4000 firmware update to my F23 action cam. I had a morbid curiosity, and a little bit of a destructive mindset. Needless to say that the SJ4000 hardware must be different in some way, as its firmware did not work on the camera. I did a ton of hunting and thought I was S.O.L. for finding the original firmware and my camera was ruined. Thankfully I was able to acquire it.
This camera is called the F23 and it is available on Gearbest. It’s a near identical clone of the SJ4000. Despite it being listed as a SooCoo product, it is not. The firmware version here is only for the cameras with the original firmware version N20150723V01. Install at your own risk. I am not responsible for failed firmware updates. Here’s how to update:
- Charge the camera so the battery is full or near full.
- Download the .bin file and place it onto a blank Micro SD (32GB or less).
- Put the Micro SD into the camera with the camera powered off.
- Turn on the camera. The lights will flicker and blink for about 30 seconds.
- The camera will turn on if the update is successful.
- Remove the Micro SD from the camera.
- Put the micro SD back into your computer.
- Delete the .bin file from the micro SD.
Hopefully this helps you solve a bricked F23 action camera! A full review of the cam will be posted within the next few days.